Choosing Your Own Floor Leveler
A floor leveler is used when leveling inner floors to help smooth the floor before decorating or applying floor tiles. If floor leveling is not done, the tiles or other flooring decorations will not adhere to the floor; thus, the floor is leveled in order to provide a flat surface and avoid floor irregularities. Unleveled floors are also dangerous, especially to children. It causes unsafe cracks and can ruin floor decorations.
Kinds of Floor Levelers
Manufacturers have produced different kinds of floor levelers depending on the user’s comfort level and ease of application. There are actually 2 kinds of floor levelers you can find in the market:
- Regular floor leveler or leveling – It makes use of tools that usually have flat ends of the trowel. It helps in spreading the compound.
- Self-leveling compound – It automatically spreads the compound without using any specialized tool or equipment. A good example is the liquid floor leveler. The advantage of a self-leveling compound is that it dries up quickly and often can be used after a day. It is also easy to use and it can be applied within 25 minutes. It is moisture resistant which prevents it from clumping. A self-leveling compound is made of a polymer product which makes the floor smooth without the need for a surface finishing procedure.
Things to Consider When Buying a Floor Leveler
It is important to note that a floor leveler should not be used for the final flooring but only to level out floor irregularities before decorating or putting tiles. A floor leveler cannot withstand constant pressure from walking so it is only intended as a primer to floor finishes such as ceramic tiles, wood, etc. When it comes to purchasing, some things should be primarily considered, whether you are buying a concrete floor leveler or other types. Choosing a good one is not difficult especially if you follow these tips:
- Information about floor leveling can be acquired from the hardware personnel. You should make sure that the floor leveler brand you choose is of good, if not the best, quality.
- Check if it has a quick drying time and if it can also be easily applied. Choose the one which can be used after a day at the least.
- The ingredients should be safe for use in the home. Some brands may have ingredients of industrial strength which are basically not allowed for use in residences.